Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tuesday, June 26



Cassie and I headed over to the Student Health Center to finish our second 'Eat Breakfast' Bulliten board to go up in the Wilson Recreation Complex. We gathered our materials and headed over to Wilson to put it up. The board looked great except for one missing k in Breakfast. It is a mystery where the K disappeared to, but we then had to head back to the health center to get it. I realized that I didn't have my ID badge, so we made a pit stop by the apartment. We have to swipe our ID badges to get lunch. On the way back I pulled the cord on the bus to tell the bus driver we wanted to stop, and he go irritated with me for pulling it when he was in front of another stop (one that I have never seen anyone stop at yet). That aside, I got my ID and we went back to student health. Anna was there, and Cassie asked her about something we had discussed the day before regarding drinking your calories registering differently than if you eat them. She got us the article, which was from Nutrition Action Healthletter. The healthletter is from the Center for Science in the Public Interest, who aims to give the public sound nutritional information and research that is not funded by any companies or government agencies. The article, and the whole healthletter was very interesting. I plan to get a subscription as soon as I get home, which is only $20 a year.
We were then invited to attend a meeting the health educator staff were going to at the Oasis to meet with other health educators from the neighboring colleges and universities. We grabbed lunch at Subway and drove over to the Oasis center. The Oasis, to remind you is the relaxation/stress relief room for Duke students. The meeting was great. There were the health educators from NC State, UNC, NC Central, and of course the Duke staff. This was only their second gathering. The idea is that they get together and exchange ideas about what is going on at their school for health promotion and to get ideas about programs that are in the works.
After the meeting Cassie and I went back to put the K in Breakfast at the Wilson Rec Centerthe Bryan Center to do some more research in the convenient store. We are listing the actual items in the store that meet our criteria as a Devil's Choice. At about 4:30 we started getting hungry from looking at all the food, so we headed home for the day.
I spent about a half an hour sitting next to the pool, reading a book. This is summer :). We then caught the bus over to East Campus to eat at the Marketplace for dinner. After dinner, we explored that side of campus a little more. We found the rec center there, but it was so small we headed over to Wilson for the third time today. I showed Cassie how to use some free weights and machines to tone her upper body. It was fun to have another girl in the gym to lift with who isn't afraid doing a bit of toning is going to make her look manly.




Pictures: Duke Chapel and the Oasis

No comments: